Toxic plants

Is Silver Dollar Toxic To Cats?

by Clair Chesterman
44 Views
Is Silver Dollar Toxic to Cats

 Though the poisons in the silver dollar are unclear, all parts of the plant, including the stem, leaves, petals, roots, and seeds, are toxic to cats. Although the silver dollar plant may be cultivated both indoors and outdoors, it is a popular houseplant that poses a significant risk of feline toxic death.

What Is Silver Dollar?

The silver dollar is a succulent plant native to South Africa and Mozambique that is widely cultivated as a houseplant all over the world. Much of its attraction arises from the fact that it is low-maintenance. The silver dollar plant requires very little water and may grow in a range of indoor environments.

The silver dollar plant is an evergreen with strong branches. It has thick, glossy, smooth leaves that grow oppositely along the branches. The leaves also have a lovely jade green tint, however, some may appear more yellow-green. It grows to a height of 2.5 meters as an erect, rounded, thick-stemmed, highly branching shrub. Typically, the base is only sparingly branched. Occasionally, a single main trunk up to 6 cm in diameter forms. Succulent shoots are grey-green in color.

Clinical Signs of Silver Dollar Poisoning in Cats

Because the condition is difficult to diagnose until the consumption of this plant is observed, it is critical to pay particular attention to the clinical indications.

Even if the toxic elements of the silver dollar are unknown, it is known to cause negative effects in cats when ingested. Cats who consumed a portion of this plant may feel the following symptoms:

  • Depression
  • Nausea
  • Retching
  • Vomiting

First Aid and Treatment of Silver Dollar Poisoning in Cats

A number of diagnostic tests may be performed by the veterinarian to establish that your cat is indeed suffering from silver dollar plant poisoning and not a more serious underlying issue.

The majority of the treatment will be symptomatic. The veterinarian will most likely start with an emetic medicine to induce vomiting in the cat. Activated charcoal will most likely be provided. This will bond with poisonous substances and inhibit the body from absorbing further plant compounds. Treatment for the feline may involve intravenous fluid therapy to relieve dehydration caused by severe vomiting.

Other medications and treatment may also be done by the veterinarian as needed in the cat’s condition.

Recovery from Silver Dollar Poisoning in Cats

The outcome for Silver Dollar poisoning in cats is uncertain and highly dependent on the amount of plant material ingested. Like other plant poisoning instances, the sooner the feline is taken to the veterinary facility and treated, the higher his or her chances of full recovery.

Prevention of Silver Dollar Poisoning in Cats

Remove any silver dollar plant from your house. Avoid growing it to prevent poisoning in your cats. Limiting your cat’s outdoor access will also lessen the possibility of getting in contact with toxic plants in your surroundings.

If you love plants but have cats at home, check out these lists:

Read Our Recent Posts
And Learn More
Read All