Toxic plants

Is Red Princess Toxic To Cats? 

by Clair Chesterman
21 Views
Is Red Princess Toxic to Cats

The red princess is considered toxic to cats as it contains insoluble calcium oxalates. These calcium oxalate crystals are generated when the plant material is eaten and embedded in the cat’s oral, esophagus, and even stomach tissues, producing instant discomfort and irritation. Many cats will have an inflammatory reaction to the crystals, resulting in swelling. This can cause the cat’s airways to become constricted or blocked, resulting in a medical emergency.

Red princess is unlikely to be consumed in big quantities by cats since it creates a quick unpleasant burning sensation in the mouth and surrounding tissues. Nonetheless, in case your cat consumes a piece of the red princess plant, it is best to visit a veterinarian.

What Is Red Princess?

Red Princess philodendrons are stunning hybrid plants with enormous, slightly arched, and full leaves that stand out in any setting. It is ideal as an indoor plant commonly used in the home, office, or chilly garden. The Red Princess philodendron is an evergreen vine that grows well in partial shade and in mild temperatures. While this fast-growing climber’s blossoms can occur at any time of year. However, most red princess plants that are grown indoors never bloom.

Clinical Signs of Red Princess Poisoning in Cats

Most red princess poisoning symptoms will show quickly after consumption. More severe symptoms may take up to two hours to appear. As a cat owner, watch out for the following clinical signs:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive drooling
  • Oral irritation
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Swelling of the mouth
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Choking

First Aid and Treatment of Red Princess Poisoning in Cats

Flush the cat’s mouth thoroughly with water to eliminate any residual plant debris and to relieve discomfort produced by calcium oxalate crystals. If symptoms still continue to show, take your cat to the vet right away.

Fluids and electrolytes will be provided by the vet intravenously if the cat is dehydrated. The vet may also administer antihistamines such as diphenhydramine to minimize swelling and restore normal breathing. To relieve gastrointestinal discomfort, kapectolin or sucralfate might be given.

Recovery from Red Princess Poisoning in Cats

If the poisoning was serious enough, the cat might suffer lifelong liver or kidney damage. Once the primary symptoms have subsided, there should be no long-term repercussions in mild to moderate instances. In most cases, the cat will recover in one or two days; however, severe cases may take up to two weeks.

Prevention of Red Princess Poisoning in Cats

While the red princess philodendron is a wonderful decorative addition to the home, cat owners should remove it entirely to avoid the risk of feline poisoning. If a neighbor is growing this plant, it is better to keep your cat indoors.

If you love plants but have cats at home, check out these lists:

Read Our Recent Posts
And Learn More
Read All