Toxic plants

Is Red Emerald Toxic To Cats? 

by Clair Chesterman
17 Views
Is Red Emerald Toxic to Cats

The toxic principles found in the red emerald plant are insoluble calcium oxalates. When your cat chews into the red emerald, insoluble calcium oxalate crystals are discharged into his mouth. These crystals can irritate your cat’s lips, throat, and tongue, causing him to paw at his mouth in an attempt to halt the burning. As a result of the poisoning, your cat may begin to vomit or drool excessively.

Red emerald poisoning can be incredibly distressing for your feline companion. The oxalate crystals will pierce the tissues within the cat’s mouth, causing pain and discomfort. Although this illness is not lethal, it can cause your cat significant suffering.

What Is Red Emerald?

The Red Emerald Philodendron is a climbing plant characterized by its deep red wine-colored stems. It is popularly grown as a houseplant due to its low-maintenance characteristics and its added aesthetic value. It is also commonly known as blushing philodendron which is known to have originated in Colombia.

This philodendron from the Araceae family is recognized for its heart-shaped leaves and vibrant crimson blooms — although it is difficult for this plant to produce flowers when grown indoors. The lush foliage of the red emerald plant makes it more attractive. It is frequently used as a houseplant or as a decorative plant in landscaping. However, many people are unaware that this lovely plant is poisonous to domesticated animals like cats and dogs.

Clinical Signs of Red Emerald Poisoning in Cats

When a cat chews on or bites into a red emerald plant, he begins to exhibit some of the signs of poisoning. The intensity of poisoning varies according to the amount of red emerald plant ingested. The following are some of the most prevalent symptoms:

  • Inflammation of the oral cavity
  • Intense burning feeling in the mouth
  • Vomiting
  • Drooling
  • Swallowing difficulties

First Aid and Treatment of Red Emerald Poisoning in Cats

To eliminate any crystals that may be present, the doctor will carefully wash out your cat’s mouth. A gastric lavage, or stomach wash, may be performed by the vet to eliminate any poisons that may be present in the stomach cavity.

To assist decrease edema, the vet may need to prescribe Benadryl. If this is not given, your cat’s airways may swell shut, making it harder for him to breathe. 

If your cat becomes dehydrated as a consequence of severe vomiting, the veterinarian can give him intravenous fluids to help him rehydrate and regain strength. Medications such as sucralfate and Kapectolin may also be used to coat the stomach lining and prevent additional discomfort to the cat.

Recovery from Red Emerald Poisoning in Cats

Most cats are discharged shortly after treatment, but others may need to stay longer if they are dehydrated and must be supervised by a veterinarian while they recover.

Once you are home, give your cat an ample supply of fluids. Let the cat rest in a quiet and cozy space at your home while recovering.

Prevention of Red Emerald Poisoning in Cats

Avoid growing red emerald philodendron in your gardens and even indoors. If your neighbor is growing this plant, you should limit your cat’s access outdoors. Keep him occupied and stimulated indoors to minimize the chance of straying away far from your house.

If you love plants but have cats at home, check out these lists:

Read Our Recent Posts
And Learn More
Read All