Toxic plants

Is Privet Toxic To Cats? 

by Clair Chesterman
64 Views
Is Privet Toxic to Cats

Privet, which is also known as wax-leaf, common privet, and Amur privet, is a shrub with terpenoid glycosides that are harmful to cats. The glycosides in common privet can make your cat’s heart pulse too quickly.

Bored cats are more likely than others to get themselves into trouble by nibbling on a poisonous plant, such as common privet. Toxic glycosides are released when a cat eats this plant material. Because of the high volume of this plant consumed and a cat’s small stature, ordinary privet poisoning can be lethal to cats.

What is Privet?

Privet’s scientific name is Ligustrum vulgare and it comes from the Oleaceae family. Privet is a genus of shrubs and small trees native to Asia, stretching from the Himalayas to Australia. They can be evergreen or deciduous, and they can grow in a variety of soil conditions. They feature large white flower heads that are followed by black berries.

Privet, also known scientifically as Ligustrum japonicum, has one-inch oval shiny leaflets that grow in opposing directions along arching branches. Its white flower sprays, which blossom in late spring, are particularly lovely. It belongs to the olive plant family of Oleaceae

Clinical Signs of Privet Poisoning in Cats

Once your cat has consumed a portion of privet, the initial signs that you will in your cat are vomiting and diarrhea.Other symptoms that your cat may begin to exhibit are:

  • Loss of physical coordination
  • Weakness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Gastroenteritis (upset stomach)
  • Abnormally fast heart rate

First Aid and Treatment of Privet Poisoning in Cats

Your cat will be physically ill, with diarrhea, rapid breathing, and vomiting as the initial signs. If you observe your cat nibbling at the bush, take him or her to the veterinarian right once. Because you don’t know how much your cat ate, it’s critical to get medical help as soon as possible.

Your cat will be given a comprehensive physical examination once he or she is on the exam table. Because the symptoms are so nonspecific, they won’t directly point to ordinary privet poisoning. Your veterinarian will instead have to rely on any plant material you bring in. If your cat still has berries or leaves in its mouth, the vet will be able to pinpoint the source of your cat’s illness.

If your cat has consumed a significant amount of this shrub, it may be experiencing cardiac and respiratory problems (high heart and breathing rates). It’s critical that your cat receives therapy as soon as these symptoms appear. Its poisoning and symptoms should be treated as long as it didn’t eat a lot of plant material.

Recovery from Privet Poisoning in Cats

Unless the cat ate a substantial portion of the plant and did not receive quick care, poisoning by common privet shrub is rarely lethal. Your cat is at a higher risk of acquiring life-threatening symptoms due to its small size. Treatment as soon as possible could make the difference between life and death.

Prevention of Privet Poisoning in Cats

Keeping your feline companion indoors is the best way to prevent another poisoning episode. Limit your cat’s access outdoors and provide cat-safe grasses and plants that he can consume with no negative health effects.

If you love plants but have cats at home, check out these lists:

 

Read Our Recent Posts
And Learn More
Read All