Toxic plants

Are Daylilies Toxic To Cats?

by Clair Chesterman
29 Views
Is Daylily Toxic To Cats? 

Ingestion of daylily even in small quantity is dangerous for cats. A feline can only survive a daylily poisoning if it receives immediate veterinary care, so veterinary care is required. Dehydration, lethargy, loss of appetite, and vomiting are some of the first symptoms a cat may exhibit. The cat’s clinical signs quickly progress to kidney failure, disorientation, seizures, and death in a matter of hours.

What Is Daylily?

Daylily, a blooming plant that belongs to the Asphodelaceae family and belongs to the genus Hemerocallis, is not a true lily despite its common name. Plant enthusiasts and horticulturists have long developed daylily species for their lovely blossoms. These lovely blooms are native to eastern Asia, particularly in China, Korea, and Japan, but they are also popular around the world because of their brilliant flowers and durability in a variety of forms.

Three petals and three sepals, commonly known as tepals, make up a single daylily flower, each with a midrib of the same or different hue. The throat, or centermost section of the flower, may be a different hue than the tepals closer to it.

Clinical Signs of Daylily Poisoning in Cats

To avoid your cat getting severe problems, it’s critical to recognize the signs of daylily poisoning as soon as possible. Take your cat to the nearest veterinarian clinic if he or she exhibits any of the symptoms listed below.

  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Excessive urination
  • Excessive thirst
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Vomiting 
  • Diarrhea 
  • Halitosis 
  • Inappetence
  • Seizures 
  • Death 

First Aid and Treatment of Daylily Poisoning in Cats

The key to a good prognosis is to get treatment before your cat’s kidneys shut down. The veterinarian may use medication to induce vomiting or give the cat an activated charcoal solution to bond with the harmful plant ingredient and then pass it through the body in feces.

The veterinarian will most likely start your cat on IV fluids to help him rehydrate and also aid in the toxin’s excretion. When fluids pass through your cat’s urinary system, they pass via the kidneys and bring any toxins with them, which are then excreted in the urine waste. In order to have a good prognosis, intensive fluid therapy must be started within 18 hours of consumption.

Recovery from Daylily Poisoning in Cats

Prompt veterinary treatment will give your cat a positive prognosis. Your cat’s age and general health condition prior to poisoning can also be a factor in his or her full recovery from daylily poisoning

Prevention of Daylily Poisoning in Cats

Daylilies may look aesthetically  pleasing in your homes and gardens however, it is highly advisable to avoid growing this plant if you are a cat owner. Cats are generally curious and they sometimes nibble on plants that they usually pass by. Limit your cat’s access outdoors to also minimize his or her risk of exposure to toxic plants outside your home.

If you love plants but have cats at home, check out these lists:

Read Our Recent Posts
And Learn More
Read All