Toxic plants

Is Green Gold Nephthytis Toxic To Cats?

Is Green Gold Nephthytis Toxic To Cats? 
Written by Clair Chesterman

Green Gold Nephthytis also simply known as nephthytis, is a popular indoor plant that can cause harm to your cats when ingested. This plant contains insoluble calcium oxalates which typically cause oral irritation, drooling, swelling, and may lead to breathing difficulties. These calcium oxalate crystals penetrate and attach themselves to the tissues of the cat’s mouth, tongue, throat, and stomach, causing instant pain and suffering. The said crystals may continue to lodge themselves in the stomach and gut walls, causing further gastrointestinal distress to your cat.

What Is Green Gold Nephthytis?

The nephthytis, also known scientifically as Syngonium podophyllum, is a tropical perennial shrub or vine that grows up to six feet tall and belongs to the Araceae plant family. Its low-maintenance, green or variegated, long-petioled leaves and bush-like habit with some cascading stems make it popular in interior settings. Trileaf wonder, African evergreen, green gold nephthytis, arrowhead vine, and goosefoot plant are some of the other common names for this herbaceous plant. These aroid species are endemic to Latin America and naturalized in some regions in North America.

Clinical Signs of Green Gold Nephthytis Poisoning in Cats

Green Gold Nephthytis poisoning can cause death to your feline companions and even to other animals. Most nephthytis poisoning symptoms that a cat owner would observe typically develop within two hours of consumption or even sooner.

  • Oral irritation
  • Hypersalivation
  • Choking and swelling of the throat
  • Inability or difficulty swallowing
  • Extreme difficulty breathing
  • Shallow, rapid breaths 
  • Convulsions
  • Renal failure
  • Coma
  • Death

First Aid and Treatment of Green Gold Nephthytis Poisoning in Cats

Immediate veterinarian care can save your cat’s life and avert life-threatening illnesses. The veterinarian may use medication to induce vomiting or administer an activated charcoal solution to help your cat get rid of the nephthytis toxin. In order to replace lost fluids and aid in the toxin’s removal, the veterinarian will most likely start him on IV fluids.

Recovery from Green Gold Nephthytis Poisoning in Cats

Because of the plant’s bitter taste, high amounts of nephthytis consumption are uncommon. However, if kidney or liver damage has already begun, it is possible that it will become a lifelong condition. Only immediate veterinary intervention can provide a favorable prognosis.

Prevention of Green Gold Nephthytis Poisoning in Cats

Remove your nephthytis at home or garden to avoid another poisoning episode. Keep your cat well-maintained and in good health by giving a balanced diet, keeping him or her physically active and mentally stimulated indoors. A well-fed and engaged cat is less likely to wander away and nibble on unknown plants in its surroundings.

If you love plants but have cats at home, check out these lists:

 

About the author

Clair Chesterman

Clair Chesterman is a professional cat breeder having her own cageless CFA and CCA Registered cattery & fostering company FluffyMeowPaws in Eugene, Oregon. Clair is a plant enthusiast too and she made in-depth research on toxic and non-toxic plants for cats.

Leave a Comment