Toxic plants

Is Daffodil or Narcissus Toxic To Cats?

Is Daffodil or Narcissus Toxic To Cats? 
Written by Clair Chesterman

Daffodil or also known for its other common names Narcissus, Jonquil, and Paper White is known for its beautiful blooms; however, these attractive plants may cause harm for your felines. Daffodils contain lycorine and other alkaloids which are mostly found in their bulbs. If your cat ingests a part of daffodil, he or she will most likely vomit since lycorine is an emetic. Aside from vomiting, your cat may also experience hypersalivation, abdominal pain, and diarrhea among other symptoms of poisoning.

What Is Daffodil or Narcissus?

Daffodil or narcissus is a bulb-forming perennial plant in the amaryllis family known as Amaryllidaceae that is frequently grown for its trumpet-shaped blooms. The daffodil plant has five or six linear leaves that are about 12 inches long and develop from the bulb. The stalk has a single enormous yellow blossom with a six-lobed corolla and a central bell-shaped crown, or corona, with frilled edges. The stamens are contained in this trumpet form, which is the flower’s most prominent characteristic.

Daffodil originated in northern Europe and is now grown all over the world, particularly in temperate areas. The popularity of the daffodil has resulted in the development of other variants with blooms varying from the conventional yellow form to white, pink, or orange hues.

Clinical Signs of Daffodil or Narcissus Poisoning in Cats

It could be dangerous for cats to ingest daffodils so it is imperative to go to a veterinary clinic once you caught your cat nibbling on a daffodil or manifesting the following clinical symptoms:

  • Drooling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Increased heart rate
  • Abdominal pain
  • Abnormal breathing
  • Cardiac arrhythmias

First Aid and Treatment of Daffodil or Narcissus Poisoning in Cats

Your veterinarian’s treatment for your cat will be determined by its symptoms. Your vet will flush any remaining plant parts from your cat’s mouth by gently cleaning them out with water. Your veterinarian will not have to force your cat to vomit as one of the toxins’ emetic characteristics will cause your cat to vomit on his own.

Your veterinarian will keep an eye on your cat for signs of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Low blood pressure, liver damage, and seizures will all be on his radar. He may also administer medications to alleviate other symptoms that your cat is experiencing.

Recovery from Daffodil or Narcissus Poisoning in Cats

With prompt veterinary treatment, your cat should make a full recovery. Recovery can take anywhere from 24 hours to a week, depending on how badly it was poisoned and how much of the material it ate.

Prevention of Daffodil or Narcissus Poisoning in Cats

Remove all daffodils from your home and yard to prevent future incidents of poisoning. Make sure that all plant material is properly disposed of so that your cat cannot get dried branches, leaves, blooms, or bulbs.

Limit your cat’s outdoor activities to prevent exposure to toxic plants in your neighborhood. Plant cat-safe grasses and plants that your cat can graze on as this will also make them less likely to sample dangerous plants.

If you love plants but have cats at home, check out these lists:

About the author

Clair Chesterman

Clair Chesterman is a professional cat breeder having her own cageless CFA and CCA Registered cattery & fostering company FluffyMeowPaws in Eugene, Oregon. Clair is a plant enthusiast too and she made in-depth research on toxic and non-toxic plants for cats.

Leave a Comment